- Dad’s Sidekick: Chief Brian Taylor runtothecurb.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/dad… https://t.co/aJoKc4jOzD| 3 weeks ago
- RT @GaryRyman: Fire In His Bones is out. Thx to @ChiefRubin & @Tiger15032 for comments. amazon.com/Fire-His-Bones… Get your copy today!| 6 months ago
- RT @GaryRyman: "The plot burns deep into the rubble of the firefighter's heart.." says @Tiger15032 Get yours today. amazon.com/Fire-His-Bones…| 6 months ago
- RT @BillyGoldfeder: FIGHT CANCER TUESDAY @FDIC. 2 GREAT EVENTS @FCSNnational @FFCancer @BobbyHalton @fireengineering @TheSecretList https:/…| 1 year ago
- I hope my firefighter friends can join me for a cone and a conversation tomorrow afternoon. @FFCancer #FDIC2016 ow.ly/d/4ESh| 1 year ago
- If never seen my #FromXboxtoBoxAlarm intro video or want to share with friend who wants to catch my act: ow.ly/ZSqdg #FDIC2016| 1 year ago
- Happy Valentines Day. For Laurie and I, it was “Love at first fire!” runtothecurb.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/lov…| 1 year ago
- Stay safe. Train often. Collect the whole set! tigerschmittendorf.com/by-definition/| 1 year ago
- RT @AJGeorgefire: Everything Photography is out! paper.li/AJGeorgefire/1… Stories via @RuntotheCurb @PreparedBC @TTCombatReady| 1 year ago
- There ain't no livin' like a live-in firefighter @Brightonfd: ow.ly/WSn84| 1 year ago
Tag Archives: firefighters under fire
September 2, 2012Posted by on
I just came home from responding to my third second-alarm fire of the week in my role as Deputy Fire Coordinator in the Erie County Department of Emergency Services and have a narrow window of opportunity to write this post. I’ve got about two hours to shower, shave, eat and then report to a law enforcement detail I’m assigned to until 3am. So here goes:
Earlier today I responded to an EMS call for a person with chest pains. Being assigned as Fire/Rescue only, I don’t typically respond to a ton of house calls but I try to help out at my fair share. Today, I was glad I did.
Upon returning to the station I went around to the administrative side of our building to check on the progress of our large parking lot paving project (large, as in square feet and dollars!). The contractors were just finishing the last section of new sidewalk around the perimeter of our assembly hall. Standing there with our President Geordie Sinclair and 53-year active member Angelo Rizzuto, I asked Geordie if I could write my initials in the corner of the concrete, just as I had done when the assembly hall and original sidewalk were built, in 1971.
I remember that event as if it were yesterday, recalling how the contractors paid a few of us neighborhood kids 25 or 50 cents a day to help them pick up materials and debris. I was 8-years old.
I thought that initialing the new sidewalk would only be appropriate, seeing as I’m still here, so many years later. It was then that Geordie reminded me that I have an important anniversary coming up this week. Read more of this post
March 15, 2010Posted by on
It’s an enhanced excerpt from Fortune Tellers that tells the story: “I’m a firefighter because…”
January 22, 2010Posted by on
The title of this discussion on FirefighterNation.com really caught my attention as I remember a lot of things as a kid — and many of them are related to the fire service.
This particular discussion revolves around the author’s childhood memories of hearing the fire siren sounding and then tuning to a particular AM station on his radio dial where they would broadcast the call location for all to hear. Read more of this post
December 7, 2009Posted by on
Serving as a co-founder and managing editor of The Fire Fighter Newspaper for seven years was one of the most rewarding and eye-opening experiences I’ve ever had.
Here’s a link to a story about one of those experiences that reminds us all that while we may be a world a part — the fire service has the unique ability to bring us all together.