- RT @Tiger15032: Nice to know that when @Clayunplugged appreciates a firefighter, he thinks of me. That means a lot. He's definitely a @Runt…| 2 months ago
- RT @GaryRyman: "The plot burns deep into the rubble of the firefighter's heart.." says @Tiger15032 @RuntotheCurb amazon.com/Fire-His-Bones…| 2 months ago
- I've interviewed most of their moms for @NFFF_News HeroTribute project: Strong women. Sad stories. twitter.com/BillyGoldfeder…| 2 months ago
- RT @firefighternews: Fire survivor thanks Utica firefighter rescuers - MyWebTimes.com dlvr.it/PHhMjs https://t.co/eZvYYCU…| 2 months ago
- Why We Should All Want to be a Fireman runtothecurb.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/why…| 2 months ago
- Dad’s Sidekick: Chief Brian Taylor runtothecurb.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/dad… https://t.co/aJoKc4jOzD| 3 months ago
- RT @GaryRyman: Fire In His Bones is out. Thx to @ChiefRubin & @Tiger15032 for comments. amazon.com/Fire-His-Bones… Get your copy today!| 9 months ago
- RT @GaryRyman: "The plot burns deep into the rubble of the firefighter's heart.." says @Tiger15032 Get yours today. amazon.com/Fire-His-Bones…| 9 months ago
- RT @BillyGoldfeder: FIGHT CANCER TUESDAY @FDIC. 2 GREAT EVENTS @FCSNnational @FFCancer @BobbyHalton @fireengineering @TheSecretList https:/…| 1 year ago
- I hope my firefighter friends can join me for a cone and a conversation tomorrow afternoon. @FFCancer #FDIC2016 ow.ly/d/4ESh| 1 year ago
Wandering Lessons of Leadership
July 29, 2011Posted by on
THE FULL TITLE:
Lessons Learned from a Couple of Happy Wanderers and the People they Wandered Into.
I read with great interest this related tale of two foreign firefighters who recently came to “The States” to learn more about our fire service culture while hoping to raise some much needed funds for their pet projects across the pond.
INSERT LONG PAUSE HERE………………………………………………….
I was intrigued not only by the firefighters’ journey itself, but also by Janet’s comment on how she was so enthralled by their stories. There’s that word again: STORIES!
I wasn’t surprised by Janet’s reaction as she is who I credit with planting a seed and inspiring me to create this story-sharing site. It’s our stories that link us across the fire service, across the states and even across ‘a pond.”
Then, what really excited me was the lesson she shared in effective leadership as demonstrated by Chief Frank Trout of the Westmont IL Fire Department who talked about turning their organization on its head.
That got the other half of my brain thinking (the part that dreams about effective organizational leadership all day). It reminded me of an idea that I had a few years ago to implement a platoon program in our firehouse, promoting the concept that while we operate in a top-down chain-of-command on the incident scene— operating as a bottom-up organizational model back in the firehouse empowers the people at the bottom (now at the top when we flip our pyramid) to build their own successful organization.
It also frees up the leadership to do what we elected them to do: LEAD!
What a concept…
- A New Pyramid Scheme for Your Volunteer Fire Department
- The Platoon Program Concept
- Passport to Better Understanding
- Planting a Seed
- Westmont Fire Department